Sunday 4 October 2009

Season 4 Episode 2

Breaking the News
First Aired: 04/Oct/2009
<< S4E1S4E3 >>
Scotty: I know it's a little over the top, but I'm thinking of making steak and eggs for breakfast. How do you want yours?
Kevin: Bloody.
Scotty: Wait a minute. I've seen that look before.
Kevin: What look?
Scotty: Like the guy in the movie in the loin cloth with a bone through his nose. Just promise me you'll think before you speak. Don't say anything you're gonna regret.
Kevin: Do you know who works for Governor Kern now? Travis March. Do you know what he used to do? He used to help run Robert's presidential campaign. I know exactly what I'm gonna say to the mercenary little bitch. He probably went to the hospital and stole Robert's chart himself.
Scotty: "Bitch"? You're off to a really good start.
Kevin: You know what? He wears loafers with argyle socks. What would you call him?
Scotty: I don't know. European? I just hope you know what you're doing
Kevin:. Oh, yeah. We're prepared. Hope to put an end to it this morning. Oh, and if it does go smoothly, I thought we could go to Lucques for dinner tonight. Doug and Barry are gonna be there. They got a table on the patio.
Scotty: Last time we hung out with them, you said it was like chewing on chili peppers with a mouth full of canker sores.
Kevin: Yeah, you know, I... I meant that in the best possible way.
Scotty: Wait a minute. The patio? They're bringing their baby, aren't they?
Kevin: I... I don't know. Maybe. Well, she is kind of adorable. She's still got that new baby smell.
Scotty: Kevin, I am so on to you. I said I don't want to be pressured about the whole surrogacy thing.
Kevin: I'm not pressuring. I... I'm nudging.
Scotty: I d... I don't want to talk about the baby thing right now.
Kevin: Fine. No more baby talk. Promise. Won't even coo in your ear
Scotty: Thank you. And next time you feel like bullying someone, save it for your friend in the argyle socks.

Nora: So how upset was he?
Kevin: Considering everything, he was remarkably stoic.
Nora: I just can't believe this is happening right now.
Scotty: Well, at least you have Evan here, right?
Nora: Well, I was hoping they would have time to talk about. Something other than work.
Scotty: I notice that Governor Kern has a few problems of her own.
Kevin: What do you mean?
Scotty: She had an affair. I saw it online.
Kevin: Really. Wow.
Scotty: Wait, how do I know this and you don't?
Kevin: Well, no. I... I heard the rumors. I just wasn't sure if they were true.
Nora: Well, maybe Robert will feel better that. Where's Evan? Did you get him to go to sleep?
Scotty: Yeah.
Nora: I can't believe it. He's been fussing and crying for a straight hour.
Kevin: They are so cute together. He's like the baby whisperer.
Nora: Well, if he's the baby whisperer, then what am I?
Kevin: Probably the baby annoyer.
Scotty: He's just trying to be nice to me so he can get what he wants.
Kevin: No, not at all. All I'm saying is, you're great with kids.
Scotty: Well, that's because I live with one. Nora, why don't you take a break? I'll... I'll take over for a bit.
Nora: I'm fine.
Scotty: No, you're exhausted. I get it.
Nora: I'm not exhausted.
Scotty: Well, Kevin told me you've been complaining, so I thought...
Nora: I've been complaining?
Kevin: No, no, no.
Scotty: Oh, Kevin!
Kevin: I said you're probably exhausted.
Scotty: Will you please tell your son to stop making these playdates for me? Kevin, I love babies, okay? That doesn't mean I want one...
Kevin: I have to take this.
Scotty: Oh, sure.
Kevin: Hi, what's going on? No, just hanging with mom, Scotty and your son.
Nora: Is that Robert?
Kevin: Wo... I.. wh.. I have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, I can come right now if you want. All right. I'll... I'll be there as soon as I can. But, no. All I'm... He hung up.
Nora: What's wrong?
Kevin: I think he's a little upset with me right now.
Nora: Is it about Kitty?
Kevin: No, believe me. This is not a marital issue. I have to go to Santa Barbara, so... I'll call you later.
Scotty: Wait. Santa Barbara? What's going... Kevin.
Nora: Ke...
Scotty: Kevin. I can't believe this. Wait. Wait. Who's gonna take me home? Kevin!
Nora: Kevin!
Scotty: Unbelievable.
Nora: Well, I could take you home.
Scotty: No, it's okay. You have Evan. I'll... I'll take a cab.

Scotty: You should see him, all curled up with his giraffe.
Nora: Kevin's right. You're a natural.
Scotty: Oh, I wouldn't go that far.
Nora: Scotty, what's going on with all this baby stuff? What are you feeling? Why are you so afraid?
Scotty: Oh, I don't know my mother, the things I grew up hearing. I mean, two gay dads. What if it's a boy? Who's gonna teach him how to bait a hook?
Nora: Bait a hook?
Scotty: Yeah, or toss a football, beat up a bully I don't know, defend himself.
Nora: You have always been so comfortable with yourself, from the very first time I met you, when your... your hair was all...
Scotty: The toucan.
Nora: The toucan. And you had a box of red velvet cupcakes. You seemed perfectly capable of defending yourself. I'm not buying this whole "baiting the hook" routine.
Scotty: Fine. You want to know the truth?
Nora: Yes.
Scotty: It's about your son, so brace yourself.
Nora: Oh, God. Now what?
Scotty: No, it's... He works too much. And that's never gonna change. We weren't here ten minutes before his phone rang and he was out the door again.
Nora: Well, you have a job.
Scotty: I know I run a kitchen at a very major restaurant. I don't know how he thinks we're gonna be able to do this.
Nora: Have you told him what you feel?
Scotty: No. So far, we've only been able to talk about the money, which is a lot, by the way.
Nora: Well, Scotty, you have to talk to him, because, believe me, I know Kevin. And the moment he sees his child, he will adjust his life to make room. I know, because when you look down at that little person they just simply own you the rest of your life, and all that matters is that.
Scotty: Nora, are you all right?
Nora: Yes. Yes. I just think you will be a wonderful dad.
Scotty: Well, don't worry. I'm keeping an open mind.

Scotty: I was still reading that.
Kevin: Okay.
Scotty: I'm still drinking that.
Kevin: Please. This has to stop, okay? You're still mad. I get it.
Scotty: No, I'm thirsty and I haven't finished reading the newspaper.
Kevin: I... I shouldn't have left you at mom's. I'm sorry. Look, why don't I just, I'll... I'll pay the cab fare. Call it retribution.
Scotty: It's not about the cab, Kevin.
Kevin: I'm not gonna force babies on you ever again okay? I'm not gonna force anything on anybody. You should've heard Robert last night. I... I'll be lucky if I still have a job when I go in today.
Scotty: You're always going to have a job, Kevin. You live for it. And you say you want a baby, and I'm sure you do, but who's gonna be at home to look after it? I mean. I have a life, too, and it may not be as important as yours, it may not be in the newspaper every day, but I like what I do, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up yet.
Kevin: I'm... I'm not asking you to.
Scotty: Yes, you are. By the way you live your life, you are. I mean, look at your hours. The campaign has barely even started, and what happens when you're on the road campaigning?
Kevin: We can get a nanny.
Scotty: That still doesn't change the fact that you're never gonna be around.
Kevin: I'm not gonna be an absent father. I grew up with one. That's not what I want for my child.
Scotty: Okay. Then promise me if things get crazy, you'll quit your job. Promise me that.
Kevin: I can't do that. But what I can do is try to prove to you... as much as possible that I will try my best to do what's right what... whatever that is for us and for our kid. Every family has these doubts, but... you just have to make a leap of faith.
Scotty: I just want to make sure we leap together.
Kevin: We will. I promise.
Scotty: The cab cost $32.50. But... I know how you can pay me back.
Kevin: Oh, so... does this mean you're in love with me again?
Scotty: I never stopped loving you, Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment