Sunday 11 October 2009

Season 4 Episode 3

Almost Normal
First Aired: 11/Oct/2009
<< S4E2S4E5 >>
Kevin: Travis, I don't care that you work for governor Kern. You know the protocol. The senator's the ranking official when it comes to greeting international guests.
Travis: Nice try, but the governor of California is gonna be at the bottom of those stairs ahen the Prince of Wales sets his pretty royal toe on California soil.
Kevin: Really? Well, then I'd hate to see your face when his royal highness walks straight past her and says hi to the senator because they played golf together in Scotland.
Travis: I didn't know you had a baby.
Kevin: You know, maybe... maybe we can, uh, you know, set up... something with the prince at the hotel, like a photo-op.
Travis: Do I need to call 9-1-1?
Scotty: I think he's hungry. Or maybe he's just wet.
Kevin: Scotty! Uh, it's... it's not a baby.
Travis: Yeah, well, whatever it is, deal with it. Look, I'm glad we settled this issue.
Kevin: Uh, you know what? We didn't settle any... What are you doing? That was important.
Scotty: You keep insisting we can manage a baby with two careers, so I thought we'd have a little dress rehearsal.
Kevin: Well, you know what? Your timing sucks. I have this visit and two press releases to get out today.
Scotty: Yeah, well, you know what? I have tonight's menu to prepare. And that crying baby? Someone needs to change his diaper. Uh-oh. It's... it's a poopy one.
Kevin: You made your point. We'll talk about this later.
Scotty: Yeah, well, it's always later, Kevin, that's the problem.

Travis: Hey.
Kevin: I already called the state department, told them the senator will be meeting the plane, so you can save your breath.
Travis: No, I'm here about Kitty. I'm sorry, by the way. Uh, when are you doing the press conference?
Kevin: What are you talking about?
Travis: Look, we know. Uh, we're telling everyone on the campaign hands off, leave it alone completely. And if you give us a day, we can have the governor cancel any appearances she has, out of respect.
Kevin: Out of respect for what?
Travis: Look, I'm in this thing to win, but even I wouldn't use a wife's cancer to score points. Are you... Oh. You didn't know?

Kevin: It's Kev.
Kitty: Oh, hey.
Kevin: You are not gonna believe what Travis tried to do to me today. He tried to tell me that you have... That you're sick, but I mean, like, really sick. That's... that's insane, right? I mean, come on. Tell me that's insane.
Kitty: Yeah, he's gonna try to spin this into a reason that Robert can't run for governor.
Kevin: Kitty.
Kitty: You're gonna try to get on top of this.
Kevin: Kit!
Kitty: What?
Kevin: I'm... I'm sorry. Is... is... is this true?
Kitty: Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. I'm... I'm... I'm... I... I'm gonna have to figure this out. Um... Um... Uh...
Kevin: Kit, it's me. It's your little brother. You can... Please talk to me.
Kitty: Yeah, yeah.
Kevin: Please... Tell me. Tell me. What... what... what... what do you have? Where is it? I mean, how... how long have you known?
Kitty: It's lymphoma, and, Kevin, I... I am so sorry that you had to find out this way.
Kevin: No, no, no. That's okay.
Kitty: Oh, God. I'm gonna have to tell everybody now.
Kevin: No. No, you don't. You absolutely don't. Look, I c... I can keep this a secret as long as you want. I know you don't think I can. I... I will. I promise.
Kitty: No. No, you know what? I think it's actually better if I just tell everybody at once, you know, just to... just to get it out there. Y... y... you know what... you know what I can do? Is I can call mom, and I'll... I'll just have her arrange one of her... one of her dinners, but... but it's like... Kev. Kev, it's okay. It's gonna be okay.

Rebecca: Maybe this is about Sarah.
Nora: Okay, everyone, here she is.
Kitty: Hey. Hi, guys. I'm, um, I'm so sorry to... to keep you waiting.
Justin: What's going on?
Rebecca: Oh, no. Are you guys getting a divorce?
Robert: No, no.
Kitty: No, no, no, no.
Justin: No, look, I'm so sorry. I... I have gross anatomy class tomorrow morning, and my lab partner has a patent, so...
Kitty: Well, um, it... it's... it's about me.
Kevin: Oh, God.
Kitty: Kevin.
Rebecca: Kevin, are you crying?
Kitty: Oh, Kevin, don't.
Saul: ugh, ugh, ugh....
Kitty: Saul. Saul? Saul, why are... why are you crying?
Nora: I had to tell someone.
Justin: Well, somebody better tell us. I'm starting to panic here.
Rebecca: Uh, yeah.
Kitty: It's okay. It's... it's... it's... I... I... I have cancer. It's, uh, it's lymphoma. It's in... it's in stage III, which... which isn't the worst.
Justin: Kitty.
Kitty: Um, it just... it just means that it... it's spread a little bit.
Nora: But it's not in her bone marrow.
Kitty: No, and... and my oncologist is... is very positive about the prognosis. It's just a matter now of deciding what treatment to do.
Scotty: Chemo or radiation?
Nora: Well, R-chop probably, which is chemo. It's the standard of care.
Kitty: Well, maybe. I...
Robert: She's also been accepted into a clinical trial in Boston.
Kitty: I have?
Robert: Yeah, I made a call.
Nora: Robert, I asked you not to make that call.
Rebecca: You may be going to Boston?
Kitty: Wh... no. I... I... well, I may... I don't know. I don't... I don't know what I'm gonna do. Mom, can you please sit down?
Nora: I'm sorry.
Kitty: I'm... I'm just gonna take some time and... and, uh, figure out what to do. Um, but, you know, l... let's just have a normal night.
Robert: Yeah.
Saul: Right. Yeah.
Kitty: It's gonna be... it's gonna be fine, and... and mom made some turkey meat loaf, and...
Nora: Yeah. So, come on. Let's... let's all sit down and eat. Um, Robert, I could, uh, use your help in the kitchen.

Kitty: So how's the, uh, surrogacy going?
Scotty: Well, you know...
Kevin: Coming along.
Kitty: Mm. Good.
Nora: I've got garlic rolls. A few fell on the ground.
Kitty: Mmm.
Nora: But 10-second rule. They'll be fine. They'll be fine.
Kitty: Oh, no, thanks. Thanks, mom.
Nora: Oh, so you're reading it, huh? See?
Saul: I better go into the kitchen and see what's going on. I think she needs some help.
Robert: She practically threw up the lining of her stomach.
Nora: Well, that's a hell of a lot better than what might happen to her if she decides to be a lab rat.
Kitty: Guys... rolls.

Scotty: You know what I just thought of? I mean, I... I could cook for you. I could leave a big cooler outside your door with fresh meals in it every day, and you wouldn't have to worry about that.
Kitty: That's really sweet, Scotty, but you know what? I'm not gonna be an invalid. I'm gonna be able to cook. But I... I have, um, I have the answer for you guys... live-in nanny.
Kevin: I'm sorry, I can't do this. Look, I know you want to talk about meat loaf and babies, but I... I can't sit here and pretend everything's normal. I'm so sorry.
Scotty: I'm sorry. I... I feel like I should talk to him.
Kitty: Yeah, it's okay. I... I understand. Y... you should go get him.
Scotty: Okay.
Justin: Look, mom's right. That's all they talk about in rehab, is your support system.
Robert: Kitty doesn't have an addiction.
Scotty: You know what? Kitty's alone out there.
Nora: You know, Robert, if it is such a good treatment, why is it not the standard of care?
Saul: That's right. And... and tell me, why hasn't the American cancer association come out and supported it or the F.D.A. approved it? Why?
Robert: Because the f.D.A. won't update its protocols and streamline their approvals.
Nora: Oh, for goodness sakes.
Robert: You have no idea how many drugs that could save people's lives are just stuck in bureaucratic red tape.
Nora: You don't know which one is which.
Scotty: But what about A.Z.T.? They approved that in seven days.
Nora: Exactly. Exactly.
Kevin: After huge political pressure. No one's marching on capitol hill for lymphoma.
Robert: Thank you, Kevin.
Kevin: She should have the most aggressive treatment possible.
Nora: Kevin, aggressive could kill her.
Robert: No, no, cancer could kill her.
Nora: Aggressive could kill...
Justin: Mom. Mom. Guys.
Nora: What? Wh... Oh, Kitty.
Kitty: I'm sorry. I'm... I'm so sorry. I mean, I know... I know this was just such a... a... a shock, but, you know, all this... all this fighting is... is... is not gonna help me, and it's... it's not gonna help anything. You know, I just, um, I just really wanted to have a... a normal dinner, you know? And it was so... it was so crazy of me to think That we could just eat and talk and... and be normal, because, of course, y... you're right. You're right, Kev. There's... there's nothing normal about...
Nora: Are you all right?
Kitty: Yeah. Yeah. I just... Oh, God. I'm tired.
Robert: I'm gonna get your things.
Kitty: Yeah, I think I... I think I need to... I need to go home. And, mom, I'm so sorry. This was just such a bad idea.
Nora: Sorry.
Kitty: It's okay. I'll see you soon.

Scotty: Can I say something that's wildly inappropriate?
Kevin: If it has anything to do with death, dying or cancer, I don't think I can take it.
Scotty: Actually, it's about the opposite.
Kevin: Okay.
Scotty: Let's have a baby. I warned you it was inappropriate.
Kevin: I'm touched that you wanna do this for me, but having a baby, it... it's just not gonna help.
Scotty: I'm not trying to help. You know, ever since this surrogacy idea came up, I've been obsessed with what a huge obligation a baby would be, and all the precious time I'd lose. And then tonight... I don't wanna wait until the "right time" to have a baby. There is no right time.
Kevin: But there is a wrong time. All I can do right now is think about Kitty, and that wouldn't be fair to a... to a baby or to you. Maybe in a couple of months?
Scotty: Now you sound like me.
Kevin: I'm sorry.
Scotty: No. We'll wait.
Kevin: I love you.
Scotty: I love you, too.

♪ Have A Little Faith ♪ by Michael Franti ♪ Listen
Kitty: They've already had, like, these nighttime tea parties.
Kevin: Hi. We were just in your incredibly remote neighborhood...
Scotty: Carrying a 4-course meal...
Kevin: So we thought we'd stop by...
Scotty: 'cause that's how we roll.
Robert: Did you rehearse that in the car?
Kevin: Yeah, a little bit.
Kitty: Hi. Hi. I can't believe this. I can't believe you're here. Wow. Well, thank you.
Saul: Whoa! Hold the door!
Robert: Saul! Wow. Wow! There's a party.
Saul: Oh, I'm so glad I brought a whole case.
Kevin: Was that you on the road behind us?
Saul: Was it me? Who else is gonna shine their brights on you...
Kitty: Oh, you guys should have communicated. You should have carpooled.
Nora: Is this too much for you, all of us here?
Kitty: No, no, this is great. I'm... I'm... I'm very happy. Let... let's... let's eat.
Nora: Yes, move outside. Come on. Everybody outside.

Rebecca: I hope that our wedding is this easy to cater.
Nora: Oh, the best thing about planning a wedding is all the tastings.
Kevin: Tastings?
Nora: Yeah.
Kevin: My husband's the best chef in town.
Scotty: Oh, Kevin.
Saul: Oh, that's why you came today. You're auditioning for the job.
Rebecca: Scotty, we would love for you to do it.
Justin: Yeah, we just didn't want to assume you'd be...
Scotty: No, no, no. Assume away. I would love to.
Kevin: I'm warning you now... he's not cheap.
Nora: Okay, where were we? Another one? Are you all right?
Kitty: Oh, yeah. Yeah. I'm... I'm just... I'm... I'm happy.
Scotty: No, I'll get it. I'll get it. I'll get it. I'll get it.
Sarah: What's with the traffic jam in your driveway?
Kitty: Sarah.
Sarah: Oh, Kitty.
Kitty: Oh! I'm so happy you're here.

No comments:

Post a Comment