Sunday 9 January 2011

Season 5 Episode 12

Thanks for the Memories
First Aired: 09/Jan/2011
<< S5E11S5E13 >>
Jill: So your visits with Olivia have been going well?
Scotty: Um, y-yeah, although, she seems more interested in biting her fingernails than she does in talking to us.
Kevin: Yeah, she was a little nervous.
Jill: Mm. When a child finds out there's a real possibility they've found a home, it can trigger a lot of anxiety. Olivia has been in the system for a long time. It's hard for her to believe in happy endings.
Kevin: So she's meeting us here?
Jill: Yeah, she's on her way in.
Scotty: I brought trail mix.
Kevin: She likes candy better, but, you know, sugar.
Jill: Look at you guys, already thinking like parents.
Scotty: Yeah.
Kevin: Does she know about the weekend visits yet?
Jill: In theory, but I think that we should choose a date today.
Scotty: Okay, great.
Kevin: We've had our niece staying with us while my sister's out of town, so she's been helping us get Olivia's room ready.
Jill: How nice.
Kevin: Yeah.
Jill: Olivia.
Kevin: Hi.
Scotty: Hi, Olivia.
Olivia: Hi.
Jill: Would you like to sit down, Olivia?
Olivia: No, are you guys gonna ask me to spend the weekend with you? 'Cause I got stuff to do.
Scotty: Well, is there any way that maybe you can do that stuff at our place?
Olivia: Do you have a TV?
Scotty: We do, with cable.
Kevin: And, uh, thousands of movie channels.
Olivia: I guess I could do that.
Jill: How's next weekend?
Kevin: Great.
Scotty: Perfect.
Olivia: Sure.

Saul: Yeah. Slow around the corner!
Scotty: Slow, slow, slow.
Kevin: It's fine. It's fine.
Scotty: Whoa, Whoa, Kevin. Slow down. It's slipping.
Kevin: Saul, Saul, don't! You'll throw your back out.
Scotty: Saul, I got it.
Kevin: Just get the keys.
Saul: Nobody ever lets me do anything!
Scotty: Why did we have to get this now?
Kevin: Because I told you, one day, Olivia will need a desk.
Scotty: Yeah, but this isn't a desk. It's a box with pieces of a desk in it. And guess who's gonna have to assemble it. Who? Me.
Saul: Okay, I want to meet Olivia. When am I gonna meet my niece?
Kevin: It's weekends for a while. She has to transition into living with us.
Scotty: Oh, Saul, I have some things I wanted to get rid of. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to donate them to the gay and lesbian center.
Saul: No problem. I'd be happy to, except I'm not volunteering there anymore.
Kevin: Why not? Did homophobia end without my knowledge?
Saul: No. I found out that Jonathan works there.
Scotty: Oh, I thought you guys talked.
Saul: We did. I told him that he probably gave me HIV in the '80s. It was a very nice chat.
Kevin: Ow.
Saul: Hi, sweetheart. Hi.
Paige: Hi. What are you guys doing home?
Kevin: We live here.
Scotty: How's your homework coming?
Paige: It's good. Um, I'm doing an essay on Anne Frank.
Kevin: Ooh.
Paige: But I... I could really use a break. I'd love to take a walk. Do you guys want to take a walk?
Scotty: Where?
Paige: Out...side.
Kevin: Paige, we live in L.A. no one's ever willingly walked around the block to talk about anything.
Saul: I do it all the time.
Paige: See?
Kevin: What's going on? Is everything all right?
Paige: Yeah. I've just been a little cooped up. That's all.
Kevin: Is someone hiding back there?
Paige: Yes.
Scotty: It's not Anne Frank, is it? Whoever is in there can come on out.
Sean: Hey.

Saul: No, not at all. It's no trouble. We'll have someone come by this afternoon with some more pamphlets. Yeah. No, we're... we're... we're just glad that the students are... are looking at them, yeah. Okay. If you need anything else, why don't you just call? Okay, yeah. Bye.
Jonathan:How's it going?
Saul: Great. That was the school nurse. They need more pamphlets.
Jonathan: Sounds encouraging.
Saul: Yeah.
Jonathan: But I meant, how are you doing?
Saul: Oh, I'm fine. I'm fine. Thanks for asking.
Jonathan: Incredibly, I just found out you're volunteering here.
Saul: Today's my last day. My nephew had some things he wanted to donate, so I brought them in, and I figured I'd answer the phone while I was here.
Jonathan: Oh, I'm sorry you're leaving. It would've been nice to see you around. Saul... I wish there was something I could say.
Saul: There isn't. Take care, Jonathan.
Jonathan: Take care, Saul.

Kevin: And then we grounded her for the rest of the night.
Scotty: And I unplugged the wi-fi so she couldn't get online.
Kevin: We had dinner, and then we just worked on Anne Frank.
Scotty: And that's all. I, I know, 'cause I lost my wallet, and I was chained to the phone canceling my credit cards. I was watching her like a hawk.
Kevin: I think we're upset because this happened on our watch.
Scotty: Yeah, I mean, as guardians, we just...
Sarah: That's it? That's why I had to rush straight here from the airport? That's why I had to give a guy 20 bucks to cut in the taxi line?
Scotty: Well, we didn't want to tell you on the phone.
Sarah: Oh, God. I... I thought she'd burned the restaurant down or something.
Kevin: Oh, well, sorry for overreacting.
Sarah: No, I... I mean it's... It's sweet, actually.
Kevin: Sweet? We found her hiding a teenage boy in the guest bedroom, Sarah.
Sarah: Phillip. Paige has known him since second grade. He's always over at our house, doing homework, hanging out. I don't think he knows this yet, but I'm pretty sure he bats for your team.
Kevin: Our... Oh.
Sarah: Of course, I will have a conversation with Paige about her having somebody over at your apartment without your permission.
Scotty: Mm-hmm.
Sarah: But, um, can I give you two some... Parents-to-be advice?
Kevin: Yeah.
Sarah: Just relax. Now I am gonna go home and take a shower.
Scotty: Uh, S-Sarah, his name wasn't Phillip.
Scotty: It was, uh...
Kevin: Sean.
Scotty, Kevin: S-Sean.
Sarah: Football player Sean?
Kevin: Maybe. He was wearing a Jersey.
Scotty: Yeah, number 17.
Sarah: You're kidding me. No. Why didn't you tell me that on the message?
Kevin: That's what we've been trying to do.
Sarah: Oh, I'm gonna kill her. Or I'm gonna kill him. I'm gonna kill someone.

Kevin: Well, what's this, part of the door?
Scotty: Well, if you'd read the instructions...
Kevin: No, they make no sense.
Scotty: Here, Kevin, give that to me. It's a support piece.
Kevin: No, I have to learn how to do stuff like this.
Scotty: Kevin, there are so many things we're gonna have to deal with as parents. Don't obsess over something I can do.
Kevin: Fine. I think this whole Paige thing has been a real wake-up call.
Scotty: Yeah, I know. Parenting's not a day at the beach.
Kevin: No, but that's exactly how I've been picturing it, with beach towels and cheap little sunglasses and cute flip-flops.
Scotty: God. You have it bad.
Kevin: Well, how have you been picturing it?
Scotty: Well, the same way, except for with ballet lessons and shopping for outfits...
Kevin: Oh, stop. You're gonna drive me nuts.
Scotty: Oh, it's Jill. Hello. Oh, that's fantastic. She found my wallet. I must've left it there.
Kevin: Oh.
Scotty: Oh. Wow. Uh, y-yeah, of course. We'll be there as soon as possible. Thank you.
Kevin: What is it?
Scotty: I didn't lose my wallet. Olivia stole it.
Kevin: Wh... That's nuts.
Scotty: Yeah. I guess she picked my pocket when she hugged me.

Kevin: So should we be, like, good cop, bad cop?
Scotty: The trouble is, I feel more like hurt and confused cop.
Kevin: Imagine being that wounded at 9 years old, you don't trust anyone.
Jill: Olivia, Kevin and Scotty would like to talk to you. I'll give you a little privacy.
Kevin: Thank you.
Scotty: I guess you know why we want to talk to you.
Olivia: Because I stole your wallet, and you don't want to see me anymore.
Kevin: No, we do want to see you again, but we do have to talk about what you did.
Scotty: Do you want to tell us why you took it?
Olivia: It's fun to do bad things.
Scotty: Okay, so you know what you did was bad.
Olivia: Can I go now?
Kevin: No, you can't. Olivia, we have to know that you won't do anything like this again.
Olivia: You're not my parents.
Scotty: No, we're not your parents yet. But we're going to be.
Olivia: I don't want you guys to be my parents.
Scotty: Ol-Olivia, um... Why don't you tell us why it is you're so upset with us?
Olivia: You don't understand anything because you're stupid. Just leave me alone, okay? I'm telling Jill that I don't want to be with you guys for a weekend or ever.
Scotty: Olivi... Olivia.
Kevin: So now what do we do?
Scotty: I don't know.

♪ I Got A Mind To Tell You ♪ by Spencer Day ♪ Listen
Saul:Mmmm.
Jonathan: Saul.
Saul: Jonathan. Well, I seem to be seeing you everywhere these days.
Bartender: Can I get you a drink?
Saul: Uh, listen, sweetheart. Would... would you just leave us alone for a second?
Bartender: Sure.
Saul: Thanks. Look, Jonathan, I don't know what you want from me. Whether you want forgiveness or absolution, I don't know. Whatever it is, I can't give it to you. Do you understand?
Jonathan: Saul, we were friends once. I just hoped we could be again.
Saul: We were friends? What are you talking about?
Jonathan: Well, I guess that's not possible under the circumstances.
Saul: No.
Jonathan: But you were right. I... I came here for forgiveness. But that was all about me. I pride myself on being a better person than before, but... my behavior has been just as selfish as it ever was. I won't bother you again. Take care, Saul.

Scotty: I've never felt so rejected in my life.
Kevin: We, we, we talked to Jill, and technically...
Scotty: Maybe this is the universe's way of telling us something.
Kevin: She can't stop the placement, but she stole his wallet.
Scotty: I don't know what to do. We really have no idea what to do.
Kevin: No.
Sarah: Are you guys done?
Scotty: Idon't know.
Scotty: Are we?
Kevin: No.. That's why we're here, to ask you.
Sarah: You don't think there are days like yesterday where I don't wish I could give my kids back?
Kevin: We wouldn't be giving her back, 'cause we don't even have her yet.
Sarah: Wait, you're seriously considering...
Kevin: Yeah, we have to be realistic. Maybe this isn't the right fit. I mean, she made it clear, she did not want to be with us.
Sarah: Clear schmear. It's okay to be afraid, you know? You would be fools if you weren't. But if you're really not sure you want Olivia in your lives, then you should walk away now before you cause her any more damage.
Scotty: No, it's not that we're not sure that we want her, Sarah. It's that we don't know if she wants us.
Kevin: Yeah.
Sarah: Scotty, she is 9 years old. She's been let down by adults her whole life. She's got no idea what she wants. Listen, you are gonna ask her to do things she doesn't want to do, you'll say things she doesn't want to hear, and you'll make her go places she doesn't want to go. And the whole time, she'll be looking at you with her eyes full of loathing, and you'll suck it up because you will love her. It's a dance, and I tell you, it's a dance that you'll be doing for the next ten years, but I don't know two other people who are more willing and more able to give that child the home that she needs.
Scotty: Wow, that was like you were just channeling Nora.
Sarah: Well, it's a parent thing.
Paige: Hi.
Kevin: Hi.
Sarah: Hi. Paige, do you have something that you would like to say to your uncles before you go upstairs to finish your homework?
Paige: I'm sorry that I had someone in your apartment without your permission... Even though nothing bad happened.
Sarah: Paige.
Paige: I'm sorry.
Kevin: Thank you, Paige.
Scotty: Thanks.
Paige: And just so you guys know, Sean told me it was okay to let you know that he told me in strict confidence that he thinks he might be gay, and he just wanted to talk to you guys about it.
Kevin: Sure.
Sarah: Wait. Sean thinks he's gay? I thought Phillip was...
Paige: Gay?
Sarah: Yeah.
Paige: Uh, no. He has a girlfriend.
Sarah: He does?
Paige: Don't worry. It's not me.
Sarah: See? The dance continues.

Saul: Jonathan. Morning.
Jonathan: How's it going?
Saul: It's nice here in the mornings, very quiet.
Jonathan: Mm.
Saul: People don't start calling till around 10:00. I was rude to you yesterday, very rude, and I, I want to apologize.
Jonathan: Oh, you don't have to apologize.
Saul: You said that you like to think of yourself as a different person than the one that I knew years ago.
Jonathan: I sure hope so.
Saul: Well, I am, too. Yeah. I don't know. It's such a... it's such a different world. I don't really know exactly when it happened. Do you know that my nephew and his husband are about to become fathers? I mean, imagine, when we were in our 30s...
Jonathan: Oh, please. The only gay fathers I knew back then were daddies, and that's not quite the same thing.
Saul: No, it's not quite the same. And... and actually, I think it took its toll. I think we paid dearly for it. I forgive you, Jonathan.
Jonathan: Saul...
Saul: No, seriously. Seriously. You have any idea how many people died before they had a chance to say those words?
Jonathan: Well, some things are unforgivable.
Saul: Yes, that's true. Some things are. But what you did... What we did isn't. Oh, God. God, how I fantasized about you for years, Jonathan. When you were anchoring, I never missed a broadcast.
Jonathan: Till they kicked me out because I was...
Saul: Because you were a drunk, yes, I know. And such a cute drunk you were. But a drunk nonetheless.
Jonathan: Mm.
Saul: And I ignored it. Yeah, because I was so busy flailing around, trying to connect with someone because I was so lonely.
Jonathan: The world did not make it easy for us.
Saul: Ah, the world is waking up. Must be 10:00.
Jonathan: Then I'll leave you to it. Good morning, Saul.
Saul: Good morning, Jonathan. Outreach. How can I help you?

Kevin: So this is how it's gonna work. If there's any more stealing, there will be consequences.
Scotty: And if you need money, talk to us, and we'll decide whether or not it's appropriate.
Kevin: Olivia, do you think you could look at us when we talk to you?
Olivia: Why do you guys still want me?
Kevin: Because we're gonna be your parents, and there's nothing you can say or do that'll change our mind.
Olivia: But you guys don't know who I am.
Scotty: Okay. Then tell us. Who are you?
Olivia: I don't know. I stole money from you. You figure it out.
Scotty: Do you want to know what I think? I think that you are a beautiful smart, strong-willed girl that got scared that things weren't going to end well. So you decided to take something, thinking that's all you could get.
Olivia: What if you guys decide you don't like living with me?
Kevin: That's not an option. We will learn to get along, to trust one another. You know what? I bet we're gonna love living with you.
Olivia: And if I don't like living with you, I can't change my mind and come back here?
Scotty: Well, it would make us very sad if you weren't happy, but we're gonna be a family anyway. We have a responsibility to each other now.
Olivia: I hope we like living with each other.
Kevin: I think we're gonna be just fine.
Olivia: Thanks for the gummi bears.
Kevin: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment