Sunday 18 April 2010

Season 4 Episode 20

If You Bake It, He Will Come
First Aired: 18/Apr/2010
<< S4E18-19S4E21 >>
Scotty: Mmm. Morning.
Kevin: Gonna wish me happy birthday?
Scotty: Happy birthday.
Kevin: I'm going for a run.
Scotty: What, running? Now? Why?
Kevin: Well, I want to feel good for me and look good for you.
Scotty: Oh, you look good for me. Come here, I'll be your birthday workout.
Kevin: Oh, that's tempting, but you might have to be my cooldown.
Scotty: Wait, didn't you go running last night?
Kevin: Uh. No, I went to the gym last night.
Scotty: Isn't all this a little bit...
Kevin: Gay?
Scotty: Frantic?
Kevin: Well, I am aging fast.
Scotty: You're 39.
Kevin: I know. I have a whole year to prepare for complete decrepitude.
Scotty: Kevin, are you all right? I mean, you've been through a lot recently.
Kevin: Every time I think that, I remember Aaron. I realize I haven't been through anything.
Scotty: Have you talked to him again?
Kevin: Yeah, that's what he wants to hear. "I'm the guy who put you in a wheelchair, want to hang out?"
Scotty: You didn't put him in a wheelchair, Kevin.
Kevin: All right. Let's not adjudicate this again. Accident or no accident, I hit him, he fell. He's managed to move on, I'm trying to do the same.
Scotty: All right. Go running. Breakfast will be waiting.
Kevin: Great. Hey, when I get back maybe we can call Michelle.
Scotty: She's not gonna know anything yet.
Kevin: Well, how long does it take to read a blood test? Why can't she just use one of those pregnancy strips? You know, a little pee and then five minutes later we know whether the stork's coming or not.
Scotty: Well, this is a little more scientific, certain.
Kevin: Oh, God, it's Mom.
Scotty: Just answer it. She just wants to wish you a happy birthday.
Kevin: Yeah, and make sure I'm going to her party tonight.
Scotty: You haven't told her you're not going?
Kevin: I'll send her an e-mail.
Scotty: Oh, Kevin. It's a little late for that. If you don't tell her, she's gonna be cooking all day.
Kevin: What part of "I don't want to talk to her" does she not understand?
Scotty: Kevin, she thought she was doing the right thing. It is not totally her fault.
Kevin: Okay, not telling me about Aaron was not a mistake. She thought about it and executed it for over 25 years. I'd say that's her fault. This is something I have to work through myself.
Scotty: Okay. Just tell me what you wanna do today.
Kevin: Um... Well, I'm gonna have lunch with Justin and Tommy. And then I thought tonight, maybe we can go out. Just you and me.
Scotty: Okay.
Kevin: Mm. Hold that thought.

Nora: Roast squab with wild rice stuffing. Mango chutney, with sage jus. Yes, I know it's a bit ambitious for a home cook, but I really want to do it.
Scotty: Well, Nora, if anyone can do it, you can. But I don't think you should. Kevin's not coming.
Nora: Well, I know that's what he's saying, but everyone else will be here.
Scotty: But they don't want to. No one wants to sit around waiting for Kevin to show up, watching you get depressed.
Nora: Look, Scotty, I'm no fool. I know what's going on. Maybe he'll change his mind and decide he wants to spend his birthday with his family. Exactly the way he's done for the past 38 years in a row.
Scotty: I just don't want you to go through all this trouble. Look, I know what Kevin's doing is probably not healthy, but that's where he is right now. And that's not gonna change in time for his birthday dinner.
Nora: Well, I'll just have to take that chance. Look, if you don't have faith that the world will turn in your direction, then it just simply never will. I love my son, no matter what he feels about me right now. And as long as I live, he can count on me to do that. Love him in any way I can.
Scotty: God, I wish I had a mother like you.
Nora: Well, I wish Kevin felt like that. How is he? I miss him.
Scotty: Well, you know, he says he's fine. He actually hasn't stood still long enough for me to really know. Actually we're both nervous. Michelle gets her blood test today.
Nora: Really?
Scotty: Mm.
Nora: She's pregnant. I know it, I know it.
Scotty: Oh, God, I hope you're right. I'm so nervous I can hardly breathe. I just keep trying to remind myself, "Try to stay positive. Believe that it will be okay."
Nora: Welcome to the club.
Scotty: You know what, Nora? Maybe you are crazy, but I'm in. If Kevin comes, we'll have a feast. And if he doesn't, I'll take him out. Want me to bake the cake?
Nora: If you bake it, he will come.

Scotty: It feels like you killed the tooth fairy.
Kitty: Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Scotty: I leave for ten minutes to get macadamia nuts and it's like you take away her will to live.
Sarah: Do you think she's ever gonna come downstairs again?
Kitty: Maybe after we leave.
Sarah: Well, not without a drink. Open that up.
Kitty: You know, if there is an argument to make that forcing somebody to see the truth of their lives, no matter how bleak, is good...
Scotty: Make it.
Kitty: I'll get the wine glasses.
Nora: Sarah, put that down. No one is allowed to drink my wine until everything is in the oven. And right now we're behind schedule. And Sarah, you're wrong. You have to care about the carrots. It's the carrots and onions and celery that ground us. Nothing is more basic than that. When the whole world is shifting and changing, you've got to hold onto your carrots. And right now I'm gonna chop these and nothing on Earth is gonna stop me. And if you don't want to help me, get out of my way. Girls, in or out?
Sarah: Okay, Mom. I'll live in your fantasy for awhile. It sure beats my reality, hands down.
Kitty: Yeah. Reality is all perception anyway. And I'm... I'm in.
Nora: Open the booze.

Kitty: Okay. Okay, Scotty, I'm not exactly a cake person, but aren't you using excessive force with whatever that stuff is in the bowl?
Scotty: No, it's like your mother said. When the world is shifting, you hold your ground. She chops, and I beat butter and sugar into submission. Who am I kidding? I'm freaking out waiting for Michelle's call.
Kitty: You know, freaking out is all part of the deal. And believe me, I know how hard it is, because I've been through it.
Scotty: You know, the first time when it didn't work out, I knew we had a second chance. But this is it. We have no more embryos and no more money. What if it doesn't work?
Kitty: Oh, it will. Or it won't. And, you know, whatever happens, I know that you and Kevin are gonna be okay. Oh! Oh. Ah. Oh, I'm sorry. It's Robert.
Scotty: Oh.
Kitty: Hey, how did it go? Oh. Oh, come on. Come on, Robert, please. Just can't you come over here? No. No, there's like enough food for what, 20 people. No, no, okay. It's fine. I get it. Robert wants me to go down to his office.
Scotty: Is everything okay?
Kitty: I don't know, but can you tell my mother that I had to go?
Scotty: Yeah.
Kitty: And I know that the next phone call is gonna be for you. And I know that it's gonna be good. So you need to keep the faith.
Scotty: Thanks.

♪ "New Morning ♪ by Alpha Rev ♪ Listen
Nora: Here we are. I wanna make a toast.
All: Oh!
Nora: I'm spilling the wine.
Sarah: Oh, dear. We can't even hold onto a glass of wine.
Saul: Excuse me, we held on to Ojai Foods, huh? Not that we wanted to.
Nora: I wanted to.
Sarah: Well, only after you didn't.
Tommy: I didn't know that she really wanted to.
Kevin: No, I know what it is. She felt like she had to not want to.
Luc: I'm sorry, but I'm not keeping track of what is "have to" and what is "want to."
Saul: Luc, Luc, Luc. That is a distinction that no one at this dinner party is able to make right now.
Scotty: Yeah, don't feel bad. Nobody can keep track.
Kevin: No. In fact the logic is like a racetrack. It just goes round and round.
Nora: And I know where it ends up. Narrow Lake.
Scotty: Oh!
All: Ohh!
Nora: It means "Nora Walker."
All: Ohh!
Saul: Nora Walker.
Scotty: So wait, wait, wait. While we're up here, let's make our official toast.
Kevin: No, no, no. Let me, let me, let me. Everybody, to the worst birthday of my life.
Saul: Cheers.
All: Aww.
Kevin: Well...
Nora: No, no, no. To the very worst investment ever.
Sarah: Oh, come on. There's been worse investments than Narrow Lake.
Saul: Nothing is worse than Narrow Lake.
Sarah: Oh, no. I bet you I can beat it.
Saul: Go ahead.
Sarah: Okay, the love of my life is going back to France and he may never ever be able to come back.
Saul: That's bad. However, I can top that. I can top that. I'm 70 years old, right?
Tommy: Yeah.
Saul: Okay, I come out of the closet.
Nora: Yeah.
Sarah: I might as well turn around and go right back in.
Kevin: You should. You got some great clothes in there.
Kevin: Wait, wait, wait. Scotty has made the most beautiful cake.
Nora: Let's get the cake.
Sarah: Let's eat the cake.
Tommy: Cake.
Scotty: Yeah.
All: Cake. Cake. Cake.
Kevin: We only just started eating. Why are we having cake now?
Saul: What's up?
Kevin: It's Michelle. Hey.
Justin: Hey, Mom.
Nora: Justin, I'm so glad you're here. Look, I need you to listen to me real quick.
Justin: So you're completely right in having this party. You have to fix this with Kevin.
Justin: Justin, you know what? I have...
Kevin: Where's Scotty?
Nora: Look who's here.
Justin: What...?
Kevin: Did Michelle call you too?
Scotty: Yes.
Kevin: I mean, she still has to have another blood test.
Scotty: Right. She has to wait to see if her HCG doubles.
Kevin: Right, but halfway pregnant?
Scotty: So we can be happy?
Kevin: Halfway happy?
Scotty: All the way happy?
Kevin: All the way happy.
Nora: Oh, my... Oh, my God.
Justin: Does that mean it worked, Mom?
Nora: I don't know. I'm gonna say yes.
Justin: Yes. Well, what do we do?
Nora: Light the candles. Get the candles.
Justin: Light the candles.
Nora: Okay, here we go.
Kitty: Okay. Okay. We just heard that you were pregnant out there.
Kevin: Halfway pregnant.
Scotty: Halfway pregnant.
Robert: Oh, you guys, you can't be halfway pregnant.
Kitty: No, no. You can, you can. You have to have a blood test and another one to be sure.
Kevin: I know.
Sarah: Come on. They're glowing.
Saul: Look at them. They're beaming.
Luc: Congratulations.
Sarah: Yeah.
Kevin: No congratulations yet.
Scotty: Yeah, we can't celebrate.
Nora: Oh, yes, we can celebrate, because it's Kevin's birthday. Happy birthday, Kev.
Kevin: Thank you, Mom.
All: Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Kevin. Happy birthday to you.
Kitty: Make a wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment