Sunday 13 February 2011

Season 5 Episode 14

The One That Got Away
First Aired: 13/Feb/2011
<< S5E13S5E16 >>
Saul: Scotty, we're reallybooked solid tonight. You know, in case wehave any walk-ins, I'm thinking maybe we should squeeze an extra 2-top into that corner.
Scotty: What are you wearing, by the way?
Saul: Oh. Uh, Jonathan's coming over. We're going power walking. We've been doing it for a few weeks.
Scotty: Please tell me you don't go to the mall. Is that velour?
Saul: Nice. Make fun of the two old men who like to walk funny. See if that gets you into heaven.
Scotty: I'm sorry. It's... it's cute. So you guys have been, uh, seeing a lot of each other, huh?
Saul: Don't make it sound like that, because it's not.
Scotty: Well, forgive me for being romantic on Valentine's Day.
Jonathan: Hi.
Saul: Jonathan. Hey.
Jonathan: Hey.
Scotty: You guys match, by the way. You guys part of a power walking team?
Scotty: You're vicious. You know that?
Saul: Come on. Let's go.
Scotty: Wait, wait, wait. Saul, who's Franklin Norman Beenz? He made a reservation for one on Valentine's Day.
Jonathan: Frank N. Beenz?
Scotty: You know him?
Jonathan: I know Edward Lemonde. That's one of his cover names.
Scotty: You're kidding me.
Saul: You know Edward Lemonde, the food critic?
Scotty: Yeah. W-well, why would he come tonight? It's a prix fixe.
Saul: How well do you know him?
Jonathan: Well, he calls me occasionally.
Saul: Really?
Jonathan: Well, I accompany him to restaurants.
Saul: Oh, I-I didn't know that.
Jonathan: Well, we're not dating.
Saul: Whatever. It'd be fine if you were.
Jonathan: Well, we're not. Matter of fact, he called me yesterday. I told him I was busy.
Scotty: What... what did he call you about?
Jonathan: Tonight, actually. He didn't tell me the name of the restaurant.
Saul: Excuse me. He called you to invite you to dinner here for Valentine's Day?
Jonathan: Yeah.
Saul: Hmm. So why did you say no?
Jonathan: Well, I didn't think I'd be comfortable with it.
Saul: But, Jonathan, he's gonna review us.
Jonathan: What do you want me to do, try to influence his opinions?
Saul: No. Don't look at it that way. You know, just to keep him company. Jonathan, I told you, I don't mind if you're dating.
Jonathan: We're not dating.
Saul: I-I-I-I have an idea. Why don't you call him back? I don't think it's too late.
Scotty: Wait. Laverne, Shirley has a very bad feeling about this little scheme of yours.
Saul: I don't understand what the big deal is.
Scotty: You don't want him to do this. Come on.
Jonathan: No, no, no. I-I'd actually love to do it. As a matter of fact, I should've said yes in the first place. I'm power walking, Saul!
Saul: I'll be right there!
Scotty: You realize you're pimping him out.
Saul: Would you be quiet? He's fine with it. We don't want a critic eating alone on Valentine's Day. I'm coming, Jonathan! He'll do it.

Scotty: Okay, once you're done with the onions, start on the reduction. I'll do the caramelizing.
Justin: Scotty.
Luc: Hey.
Justin: How you doing? What's going on?
Luc: Hey.
Justin: Right. So, uh, look, I know this may be a little last minute, but we were sorta...
Scotty: Okay, stop right now. I don't know what you guys are doing here, but I need you to leave now.
Luc: Can you do a little cassoulet to go?
Scotty: No. A cass... No, I can't do that. I have a major critic coming tonight, and I'm a little crazed, Luc.
Luc: I would not be here if it was not an emergency. I told Sarah that I will do something special for Valentine's, and... I failed miserably. You understand romance, how important the big gesture is.
Justin: I get romance. I just don't think you need shock and awe to prove it. All... What do you think, Scotty?
Scotty: Me?
Justin: Mm-hmm.
Scotty: I'd take anything at this point. Kevin chose this week to attend a legal convention.
Luc: I'm sorry, man.
Scotty: Yeah. He didn't even send flowers. Hell, even Olivia sent a card, and we haven't even adopted her yet.
Luc: Kevin loves you. I promise.
Scotty: Thank you.
Justin: Oh, my G... I feel like I'm in a women's bathroom. What is it about this holiday that just drags estrogen out of dudes?
Scotty: Oh, that is so sexist. Love is not restricted to estrogen.
Luc: Thank you, Scotty. Tu es un amant. Tu comprendre. The littlest cassoulet?
Scotty: Luc, I can't help you. I have a major food critic coming tonight, a husband out of town, and an uncle who's pimping out his friend for a good review. I can't help you. Okay.

Edward: You know, I still get a little kick out of booking anonymously.
Jonathan: I think you should retire Frank N. Beenz. People are gonna start getting suspicious.
Saul: So, gentlemen, good evening.
Jonathan: Hmm.
Saul: Happy Valentine's Day. Welcome to Café 429. And, uh, so the reservation is under...
Edward: Beenz, table for two.
Saul: Ah, yes, Mr. Beenz. I have a lovely table for you. Please allow me. Follow me.
Jonathan: I hear the food here is spectacular.
Edward: Well, we have all night to savor it. I'll get it.
Jonathan: Thank you, Edward. Ah.
Edward: Voila.
Jonathan: It's a bit dim back here, isn't it?
Edward: I like dim.
Saul: Do you like dim? Ah, well, in that case, allow me. How about that?
Edward: Ah, even better.
Jonathan: Yes, better... And darker. You're sure your other patrons won't object?
Saul: Oh, not at all. After all, it's Valentine's Day. So may I offer the gentlemen a lovely glass of champagne, complimentary?
Edward: Oh, I'd love one. I'd love one. But my friend here is sober. Boo. Hiss.
Jonathan: Oh, true, true. But then... I don't need spirits to assure that I'll have a wonderful evening.
Saul: Well, I certainly hope that you do.
Jonathan: Oh, Edward. That is funny.

Scotty: More.
Saul: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. So, Scotty, these are the entrées for Jonathan's table, right?
Scotty: Yes.
Saul: Okay, so we have sole bercy with chanterelle mushrooms...
Scotty: In a shrimp velouté.
Saul: In a shrimp velouté. That's great. Uh-oh. Shrimp?
Scotty: Yes. Shrimp stock. Why? What's the matter?
Saul: Well, Jonathan's mildly allergic to shrimp.
Scotty: What? What does that mean, mildly?
Saul: Mildly. It means that it's gonna be perfectly fine. It's shrimp stock. It's not the whole shrimp.
Scotty: No, we can't serve him the sole, Saul.
Saul: We have to serve him the sole, Scotty. He ordered it. If we don't serve it to him, then... then Lemonde will know that I know Jonathan well enough to know that he's allergic to shrimp, the whole plan will just...
Scotty: Why did I let you talk me into this?
Saul: Because a great review from Lemonde means that we'll be booked solid every night.That's why.
Scotty: Well, what do you want me to do? Because I'm not serving shrimp to somebody who's allergic to...
Saul: Fine, fine, fine. It's simple. I deliver the entrée, I describe the entrée, Jonathan hears "shrimp, " he says he's allergic to it, and then I bring him the other choice.
Scotty: Great. Great. I'll start on the other entrées. Saul.
Saul: What?
Scotty: Does it seem like they're having a good time?
Saul: Oh, it seems like they're having a perfectly wonderful time.
Edward: It's an all-expense-paid trip to St. Barths just to review this resort's one restaurant. You really couldn't get away?
Jonathan: Oh, Edward. I don't know. I... Actually, St. Barths is one of my favorite's of the Caribbean islands. Uh, twist my arm, and, uh, I may have to cancel my plans and join you.
Edward: Wonderful. I'll look into the details.
Saul: Excuse me, gentlemen. If I may interrupt your itinerary planning long enough just to present your dinners.
Edward: Please do.
Saul: So we have a fillet of sole bercy with chanterelle...
Jonathan: You know, I do love St. Barths. Oh, sorry. Do go on.
Saul: Yes, a fillet of sole bercy with chanterelle mushrooms in a... Lovely velouté.
Jonathan: Ah.
Saul: Enjoy.
Edward: Thank you.
Jonathan: Bon appétit.
Edward: Thank you.

Edward: We should go back to that bistro in Santa Barbara.
Jonathan: Yes.
Edward: Remember? Just you and me, balmy nights, the moon on the water.
Jonathan: Speaking of water, I could use some. Waiter. May I have some water, please?
Edward: Are you all right, Jonathan? You look a bit flushed.
Jonathan: No, I'm... I'm... I'm fine. I'm fine. What did you say our entrée was? It was so delicious.
Saul: The entrée... was it delicious? Oh, great. It was a fillet of sole bercy with, uh, chanterelle mushrooms and, uh...
Jonathan: Mm. But what was in the sauce?
Saul: The sauce?
Jonathan:Yes.
Saul: Fish.
Jonathan: Oh.
Edward: I believe I detected shrimp.
Jonathan: Shrimp?
Edward: Oh. I know my shrimp when I taste it. Am I right?
Saul: Well, the... the... the... the velouté.. The velouté was of a... shrimpish nature.
Jonathan: Oh.
Edward: Do you have a problem with shrimp?
Jonathan: No, no, no. I love shrimp. Oh, the sauce was so delicious, I practically licked my plate.
Saul: Ah...
Edward: Funny. I never noticed how... sexy your voice is.
Saul: Well, I-I will certainly pay your compliments to the chef.
Jonathan: Please do.
Woman A: Table nine.
Man A: Got it.
Man B: It's 2 for table 14.
Scotty: Hey, how's it going? Is everything all right?
Saul: Oh, yes. I just have to get their desserts. Everything is gonna be fine.
Scotty: It's gonna be fine? Why? What... what's going on?
Saul: Jonathan is just feeling a little warm. That's all.
Scotty: Warm? He looks like he's sweating.
Saul: Ah, yes. This is gonna fix it. This'll be great.
Scotty: You did tell him there was shrimp in the velouté right? Saul.
Saul: Not in so many words.
Scotty: In any words?
Saul: No.
Scotty: Oh, my God.
Saul: Well, it's not such a big deal. He just said he felt a little warm. His throat is constricting, but on the plus side... They loved the sole.
Scotty: This is a nightmare.
Saul: He's gonna be fine. Wait till you see. The sugar in the cake is gonna counteract the shrimp.
Scotty: Oh, is that true?
Saul: I don't know.
Scotty: What were you thinking?
Saul: I wasn't thinking. They're out there having fun at my expense. Do you know they're planning on going on vacation?
Scotty: I don't care. This was about a good review. You're both acting like teenagers.
Saul: He started it!
Scotty: And you're gonna end it by putting him into anaphylactic shock?
Saul: I'm not gonna put him into any kind of shock. If he goes into shock, there's an epipen in the first aid kit, and I will apply it. You need to calm down. He's probably out there talking about the food right now.
Scotty: Talking? Sure, if he can still talk.
Saul: He's fine. They're fine.
Scotty: They're gone. Thanks a lot.

♪ Hamburg Song ♪ by Keane ♪ Listen
Saul: Jonathan.
Jonathan: Is Scotty here?
Saul: No. Yeah, he's upstairs. Kevin came back. He wasn't supposed to...
Jonathan: Yes or no is all I need.
Saul: Yeah, yeah, he's here.
Jonathan: Tell him it's my fault that we left so abruptly. I had to get out or stay and make a scene.
Saul: Are you okay?
Jonathan: Yeah, I'm fine. Nothing a little antihistamine wouldn't fix. That's not the scene I'm talking about. Tell Scotty that Edward's coming back another night.
Saul: Great, great.
Jonathan: I, for one, will, uh, not be returning anytime soon.
Saul: Jonathan, wait. Wait. Please. Come on. Please. It was so stupid and childish and thoughtless, this whole thing. I-I-I-I think that I literally lost my mind.
Jonathan: Why? That's all I wanna know.
Saul: Just listen to me, okay? You make me feel insecure. Can you understand that?
Jonathan: I make you feel insecure?
Saul: Yeah.
Jonathan: I wasted almost years of my life drunk.
Saul: Jonathan, listen to me. You make me feel insecure. I can't help it. That's the way it is, and then tonight, I see you with that loathsome man...
Jonathan: I told you, he doesn't interest me.
Saul: But I didn't believe you. And suddenly it feels like it's the '80s again... All those people who lined up waiting to spend some time with you, remember?
Jonathan: You know, somehow I actually thought we had put our past behind us.
Saul: I'm trying. You're trying. We're both trying to understand our lives. If we could live them over again, maybe we would...
Jonathan: Try to make them differently, yes.
Saul: Maybe.
Jonathan: I behaved like a... Like an ass tonight, too.
Saul: God, we could've been in high school tonight, right? Oh. Probably explains why this man that I slept with all those years ago who doesn't even remember that it happened, who probably gave me H.I.V., is the only man that I'm interested in now.
Jonathan: Well... Hard as it is for you to believe... You're the one I'm most interested in, too.
Saul: Oh, God. Well, why didn't you say something?
Jonathan: I'm sorry, but... we all are afraid of taking the first step.
Saul: Yeah. Which probably explains why I've never done this before. Wait. Where are you... Where are you going?
Jonathan: I'm power walking to my car, and then I'm driving home. Care to join me?
Saul: Oh, yeah.

♪ Been A Long Day ♪ by Rosi Golan ♪ Listen
Kevin: Scotty, this is delicious.
Scotty: I am so glad you came home.
Kevin: I wasn't gonna miss Valentine's with you.
Scotty: I love you. Mwah.
Kevin: I love you.
Scotty: What's wrong?
Kevin: Is this the entre with the shrimp?
Scotty: Oh, screw you.
Kevin: I think I'm dying. Fine.
Scotty: Go ahead.
Kevin: I want you to have my Olivia Newton-John... Action figure. I'm sorry. I was just trying to... lighten things up about Saul. You know, people make mistakes, especially when it comes to love.
Scotty: Oh, come on. Do you really think he's in love?
Kevin: Yeah, in his own peculiar way. You should forgive him, Scotty.
Scotty: Well, people have forgiven me in the past, so...
Kevin: I'm glad I came home.
Scotty: Me, too. Happy Valentine's Day.
Kevin: Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment