Sunday 24 April 2011

Season 5 Episode 20

Father Unknown
First Aired: 24/Apr/2011
<< S5E19S5E21 >>
Sarah: Damn Kevin! You know, he clearly said he wanted to organize our wedding, and I know this thing has tabs, but you can't just hand me a ring binder and then go AWOL! Look, I still have two fittings for my dress, confirm numbers with the caterer, get programs printed, finalize, order flowers-- I mean, Kevin was supposed to do most of this.
Luc: I can help you. It's fine.
Sarah: No, you can't. You have your own tab.
Luc: Wow. Well, maybe someone else can rejuvenate with your mom.
Sarah: Who? Kitty and Seth are still in Boston, and if Kevin's gonna help anybody, it's gonna be me.
Luc: What about Justin?
Sarah: Oh, no. Justin's idea of reviving a spirit-- watching "Ghostbusters."

Scotty: Is there any way she could've gotten on another flight?
Marissa: Uh, I doubt it. We checked. I think we can safely assume she left the airport as soon as she knew you'd spotted her with the baby.
Kevin: She ran like a thief, which, of course, she is.
Marissa: Unfortunately, the law hasn't kept up with the science of these 3-party surrogate births. To us it's kidnapping, but the police treat it - as a custody issue.
Kevin: That's insane. I mean, she's not even the egg donor. She is not genetically related to that baby in any way. She lied to us about the miscarriage. She took our money. She stole our baby! Believe me, I know plenty of people in the D.A.'s office. I will find the criminal statute to charge her with.
Scotty: Are you saying that the police are giving up?
Marissa: Let's just say, it's not their top priority.
Kevin: But that's why we have you.
Marissa: And I will do everything I can, but I want you to be realistic. After three days, the odds are not with us. She could be anywhere, and if she's gone back to New York, then it gets more complicated and expensive. I'm not licensed there. I'd have to hire somebody to do the legwork for me--
Kevin: So hire someone. Just keep going.
Marissa: Okay. I, um... got a copy of the New York state birth certificate this morning, and his date of birth falls right in the correct time frame.
Scotty: His?
Marissa: Yeah. She had a boy. His name is Daniel.

Justin: (Whew. I really thought I knew) Michelle. I mean, I-I liked her. I mean, she seemed normal. I can't believe she would turn into this monster.
Kevin: Yeah, well, obviously we never really knew her. She could've been planning this from the beginning. Look, I'm sorry to unload this on you, but I can't face telling the family right now, so I need you to cover with mom and everybody until this mess blows over, which might be never.
Justin: Okay.
Kevin: Are you all right?
Justin: Yeah. Yeah. No, I'm fine. I just, um... Any time you wanna talk, I'm-- I'm here to listen.
Kevin: Thank you.
Justin: Except now. Hey, mom.
Nora: Hi. Listen, I didn't get it! Luc came in, and I panicked, so you have to go back over there.
Justin: I can't. I'm busy.
Nora: Where are you?
Justin: I'm at Kevin and Scotty's...
Kevin: I'm not here. I'm not here.
Justin: But they're not here.
Nora: Well, then what are you doing?
Justin: Um... my--my cable went out, - so I'm watching, uh, a hockey game.
Nora: Wait a minute. You're too busy watching a hockey game to help me?
Justin: Well, it's tied.
Nora: Justin, get your butt over to your sister's. I have to go to work. I will see you here later this afternoon, okay?
Justin: Fine, mom. Fine. I'll see you soon.
Kevin: I'm so sorry to make you go through this charade.
Justin: Oh, no. It's, uh, it's okay.
Kevin: What does she want?
Justin: She wanted me to go over and watch this movie with her.
Kevin: Wow. She really is lonely.
Justin: So lonely.

Scotty: Hey. Jeremy's got the lunch rush under control, thank God. I don't think I could force a smile for another second. Ohh.
Kevin: I told Justin.
Scotty: Did you make him swear not to tell your family?
Kevin: Yes, Scotty. I think he understands the gravity of the situation.
Scotty: What'd he say?
Kevin: He said he thought she should be in jail for 20 years, minimum. He also called her a monster.
Scotty: I don't believe that. She's not an evil person. Kevin, neither of us knows what it's like to carry a baby inside our bodies.
Kevin: I'm--I'm sorry. I can't listen to this. We have a son, Scotty. It says here "father unknown," which is a lie. It also says his name is Daniel, which is not the name we chose, but Michelle's father's name. Our son doesn't know we exist. What more is it gonna take until you are angry at her?
Scotty: I am angry, but it doesn't make me feel better to hate her.
Kevin: I'm sorry.
Scotty: It's okay. Look, Kevin, we've gotta pull it together before Olivia gets home.
Kevin: I know. I know. I forgot to tell you, she texted me a couple of minutes ago.
Scotty: Really? I didn't get one from her.
Kevin: Well, check your phone. I'm sure she's written something to you, too. "Saw a baby deer"-- three exclamation points. "Paige 'n' I 'r' 'n' the same tent."
Scotty: I miss her.
Kevin: So do I. Bet she's having a great time.
Scotty: Yeah.
Kevin: What did she say?
Scotty: Uh, it's-- it's not from her. It's, uh, Jeremy. He needs me back downstairs.
Kevin: Well, don't worry. I'm sure she's writing you a long text - about skunks or something.
Scotty: Yeah, I'll, um, I'll s-- I'll send her something from downstairs.

Saul: Kevin? Where's Scotty?
Kevin: I don't know. What do you need?
Saul: Nothing. I don't need anything. I just stopped by to gather up some snacks to bring over there. The rehearsal.
Kevin: Oh, my God.
Saul: You forgot?
Kevin: Yeah. Completely.
Saul: Well, it's okay. Don't worry. I'll wait for you. Come on.
Kevin: Uh, y--uh, you know what? Saul, I'm so sorry. Um, Scotty and I-- we've got a lot going on right now. I don't-- I don't think we can do it.
Saul: The rehearsal or the whole thing?
Kevin: I'm sorry.
Saul: Both of you? Kevin, what is more important than your sister?
Kevin: Saul, I don't know.
Saul: Okay. You--you--you need to tell me what is going on with you.
Kevin: I... I'm just tired.
Saul: And that's it? That's all you're gonna tell me, that you're "just tired"?
Kevin: But it's--it's the truth.
Saul: I-- okay, I give up. I give up. Nora won't talk to me about Brody, I try to help Luc and Sarah, and they don't want to hear any of it, and you look like the world is coming to an end, and you tell me that all you need is a nap. Okay.
Kevin: Saul, can you please--
Saul: N-no. You know what? You take care of your business. I'll take care of mine.

Michelle: I'm so sorry, Scotty.
Scotty: You didn't bring Daniel.
Michelle: How do you know his name? Please, Scotty, tell me that you did not call the police.
Scotty: Michelle, did you honestly think we wouldn't try to find you?
Michelle: That's why I called you. I know that what I did was wrong, but I thought if you and I could talk, we could figure out a solution without getting the police involved, but, Scotty, I can't bring Daniel unless I know that I can trust you.
Scotty: That's pretty presumptuous of you, lecturing me about trust.
Michelle: I'm so sorry, Scotty.
Scotty: Michelle, I-I believe that you're sorry, but... you have to let us see him.
Michelle: I can't. I'm afraid you'll have me arrested.
Scotty: We won't. I promise.
Michelle: Scotty, I swear, if you try to take him away, I will disappear again. I am his mother, and he needs me.
Scotty: Okay, Michelle, don't run away, okay? We can work something out. We care about both you and Daniel, and we forgive you.
Michelle: You really think that Kevin will understand?
Scotty: Of course. We want what's best for Daniel. That's what you want, isn't it?
Michelle: I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder anymore?
Scotty: No. You're safe.

Kevin: Oh, uh, no. There's no news. I just-- I could use some company this morning. That's all.
Justin: Actually, bro, I'm so sorry. I can't. I'm running this stupid errand for mom, and it's... it's kinda time-sensitive, but, look, I'm here if you want to talk.
Kevin: Oh, hang on. That's Scotty's phone.
Justin: You need to get it?
Kevin: Yeah, it might be Olivia calling from big bear.
Justin: All right, listen, we'll set something up for later. I'll call you when I'm done with mom.
Kevin: Okay. Bye. Hello.
Michelle: Hi. It's Michelle. Scotty?
Kevin: Uh, no, this is Kevin.
Michelle: Um... Kevin, I-I'm sorry. I-I told, um, Scotty I was gonna call him today.
Kevin: Well, Scotty isn't here right now, so, um, what did-- what did you want to talk about?
Michelle: Maybe I should call back.
Kevin: No. No, because whatever it is you-- you wanted to say, you can say to me. Where are you?
Michelle: I-I can't tell you that. That is not part of the deal that I made with Scotty.
Kevin: You made a deal with Scotty? Would you like to tell me what that was?
Michelle: I thought he told you.
Kevin: No, he didn't, so why don't you tell me, Michelle?
Michelle: Scotty and I decided to do what's best for Daniel. I-I'm his mother, so I need to stay involved.
Kevin: No, you're not, Michelle. You're our son's gestational surrogate. You're not even genetically related... So there's no deal that will allow you to keep our baby.
Michelle: Scotty swore to me that you understood.
Kevin: No, what I understand is, that is my baby crying, so why don't you tell me where you are before you get into more trouble than you're already in, Michelle?!
Scotty: Kevin, don't.
Kevin: No. Scotty! Scotty! Scotty!
Scotty: Michelle? Michelle? Michelle? Mich-- What is wrong with you? I was setting up a meeting. I was going to get him back.
Kevin: Apparently you've already had a meeting! Why didn't you tell me you were negotiating with her?!
Scotty: Because she called me!
Kevin: Scotty, he is my son, too! Why didn't you tell me?!
Scotty: Because I knew you would screw it up, like you just did! I thought if I showed her a little understanding, she would bring him back safely. Now we may never find him!
Kevin: You are absolutely right! Absolutely! So good luck living with that!

Justin: Are you sure you want to open that?
Nora: Yes. I want to get it over with.
Justin: Oh, no.
Nora: Positive. Oh, my God. Oh, my God.
Justin: Wait. Wh-wh-- what are you gonna do? I mean, how-- how do you even handle this?
Nora: I don't know. Is there ever a good time to tell your daughter something like this? But certainly it's not now, not right before her wedding.
Justin: What--what the hell are you talking about, mom? You can't keep something like this from Sarah.
Nora: Yes, I can. Justin. I can.
Justin: Well, count me out. Count me out, mom. I've told you this before. There is no way you can expect me to lie to Sarah's face like this.
Nora: Justin, please. Don't go all wobbly on me now. This is not exactly an easy piece of information for me to digest, so if I can, you can. I mean, what am I gonna say to Sarah, "guess what, honey? Surprise!"
Justin: Surprise? You want a surprise, mom? Sarah's about to take you on a Mexican cruise so you can spend 24 hours a day talking about how much nasty old Brody broke your heart.
Nora: What?
Justin: Yeah, so how are you gonna look Sarah in the face for three days, mom, and not tell her the truth?
Nora: When did you know about this cruise?
Justin: Mom, it doesn't matter when I knew about this!
Nora: You should have told me. You don't tell me anything!
Justin: Mom, you're missing the whole point of this!
Kevin: Sorry, mom. I didn't know you were here.
Nora: Kevin, are you all right? What's wrong?
Kevin: I'm fine.
Nora: Justin.
Justin: What, mom? I didn't tell him anything!
Nora: Shh!
Justin: I haven't told anybody any-- you know, listen, I'm sick of this! Kevin, you need to tell mom what's going on. Mom, you need to tell Kevin about Sarah. Everybody in this family needs to start telling each other the truth!
Nora: Not now!
Justin: Yes, mom, now! Right now! Kevin, mom and I did a D.N.A. test behind Sarah's back, and mom doesn't want to tell her that Brody's her father. And, mom, Michelle lied. She did not have a miscarriage. Kevin has a son, and you have a grandson.
Kevin: Shh
Justin: Nobody knows where he is. People need to talk! Why don't you two start?


Nora: Remind me to never get really emotional news at Justin's house ever again.
Kevin: Yeah, the strongest thing he's got back there is white wine vinegar.
Nora: Wanna try a little of that?
Kevin: Sure. I'm in. Poor Sarah.
Nora: Poor you. Poor Scotty.
Kevin: Sarah gained a father. We lost a son.
Nora: Don't say that. There's always hope.
Kevin: Oh, mom, I've been through this. I'm scared to hope.
Nora: Well, then I'll hope for you.
Kevin: At least there's one bright spot in all this.
Nora: What?
Kevin: Well, it seems Brody really does love you.
Nora: Yeah, like I could take any great pleasure in that right now.
Kevin: Why not? Maybe you could pick up where you left off.
Nora: I don't even know what to think.
Kevin: But you are gonna contact him and tell him about Sarah, aren't you?
Nora: I don't know.
Kevin: Mom, I've just spent the last three nights lying awake agonizing over the fact that my son might never know who I am or that I'm his father. Maybe Brody feels the same way.
♪ Dig With Me ♪ by Allie Moss ♪ Listen
Justin: Come on. Don't worry. He'll be home soon.
Scotty: Oh, yeah. No, I'm sure you're right. Was he yelling when you saw him? I know he's in good shape, but I-I worry about his blood pressure.
Justin: He was not yelling. He did look sad...
Scotty: Oh.
Justin: And so do you, so, Scotty, this is your lucky day, because I just off-loaded most of my worry quota, so I'm 100% available to listen.
Scotty: Okay, this is the second time we've lost this baby. And he's our son. We can't give up on him, but we can't-- we can't keep putting ourselves through this.
Olivia: Honey, I'm home.
Scotty: Where did you learn that? Ohh! I have been waiting for you all day.
Olivia: Hi, Uncle Justin.
Justin: What's up, dudette? Ohh.
Scotty: Come here. I want to hear all about your trip.
Justin: What do you got there?
Olivia: Paige said if you give someone a rock from wherever you go that it's kinda like the person was there with you
Scotty: That is so sweet. Thank you. Mwah.
Olivia: Let's go give Kevin his.
Scotty: Uh, he's not home, honey.
Justin: Um, let me see that. This is, uh, this is the one you're gonna give Kevin?
Olivia: Yeah.
Justin: Well, this is perfect. You know why?
Olivia: Why?
Justin: Because this looks just like the shape of his head.
Scotty & Olivia: Hhhhh
Justin: Shh. Don't tell him.

Sarah: You've gotta love a family whose response to a paternity crisis and a kidnapping is food and wine.
Luc: Thank you.
Nora: Well, we have to keep our strength up.
Saul: Yes, and your chicken is the ultimate comfort food, honey.
Sarah: Mm-hmm.
Nora: Yeah, well, I think maybe this time - we're asking too much of this poor little chicken.
Sarah: No. Never.
Kevin: Scotty sends his love.
Sarah: Ohh.
Nora: Are you guys okay?
Kevin: Yeah, we'll get there, but, uh, more importantly, Olivia's back from big bear, so I think I'm gonna take off.
Nora: I want you to take some of these cookies to her.
Luc: Oh. Should we call Justin and ask him if he wants to have dinner?
Sarah: Yeah.
Nora: No, I think we should just leave him alone. I think he's had quite enough family fun for the time being.
Sarah: Good. More chicken for me.
Saul: Oh, I can't believe that you still have an appetite.
Sarah: I know. Dad always used to say that he and I could just eat our way through anything. Oh, come on. Please don't go weird on me. I'm still gonna talk about dad. Nothing's changed. It's-- it's just some new information on a piece of paper. It's like when mom made the gravy from the cornstarch instead of the flour. The ingredients change, but it's still gravy, okay? You're still my family. Luc and I are still getting married. William is still my father, and Brody is still some guy I knew for a while.
Luc: So you don't want to explore your relationship with him?
Sarah: No. No. I-I had a dad. I had a great dad, and if I ever need another one, I've got a pretty good stand-in right here.
Saul: Really? Even though I sometimes overstep my boundaries?
Sarah: Oh, come on. I love that you worry about me.
Saul: Thanks, angel.
Sarah: The way I see it, Brody lied to mom the day I was born. He made it crystal clear that he didn't want either of us in his life-- not then and not now. And you know what, Brody? The feeling is mutual.

♪ Days Like This ♪ by Over The Rhine ♪ Listen
Scotty: Wow. Another masterpiece.
Olivia: Now it'll be like I'm sleeping by the campfire, but in my bed.
Scotty: Okay, well, it is bedtime, little camper.
Olivia: Kevin!
Kevin: Aah!
Olivia: You missed me so much.
Kevin: I know I did! Mwah.
Olivia: Oh. I got you this rock. I know it doesn't sound like a good present, but really it is.
Kevin: I will love this forever and call it Herman.
Olivia: Herman? That's a weird name. Oh, you know what else is weird?
Kevin: What?
Olivia: Sometimes when the wind would blow the campfire smoke where we were sitting...
Kevin: Yeah.
Olivia: Cooper said if you close your eyes and say, "I love rabbits. I love rabbits," then the smoke would blow the other way. I didn't believe it, but it worked.
Kevin: What?!
Scotty: That's crazy.
Kevin: Ooh. Speaking of crazy, it's your Uncle Justin.
Olivia: He said your head looks like a rock.
Kevin: Did you say my head looks like a rock? You're where?
Olivia: Can I draw one more picture before bed?
Kevin: All right. Just tell me. What did mom say now?
Justin: She came to the house and put him in my arms and left.
Kevin: Oh, my God.
Scotty: Kevin?
Kevin: She just left him with Justin.
Scotty: Shh, shh, shh, shh, shh.
Kevin: Shh, shh, shh.
Justin: Oh. Guys.
Olivia: Whose baby is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment